– One day when I was in one of the churches as an volunteer here in Malaysia, I met a very energetic girl who was always running around but not communicating with her other friends. I feel very puzzled by her behaviour but I guess this was how I looked like when I was young as I was really naughty too when I was young. I shall not reveal her name here but I shall call her Marry. Marry was a typical child, quite charming actually I thought.
– As we were ending I saw that she was alone playing with the pole while the lead teacher was talking and she was straying herself from the rest of the group. So I finally gathered my strength and asked her: ” How come you are not in your group?” She looked away and didn’t reply me. Then she runs to another corner again playing with the wall or some sort. I asked her the second time and finally she answered me with a low-toned angry voice: “Everyday I meet people who don’t want to friend me and they don’t want to play with me.” And how her eyes revealed to me the three emotions bind together- shock, angry and scared. At that moment I feel her so well. Because it’s hard to not feel belong to a community of people who has the same interest as you. My heart reach out for her.
– Perhaps I wasn’t really trained well in kids, so I tried my best and replied the child: ” Well… Mary. You just need to find a new group of friends.” And she looked at me deviously and dumbfounded. After that, we were in a chase again and I had to chase after her and after several attempts she finally slowed down. “Okay, Mary. Let’s pray.” I told her. Then I put my hand on her back and started to listen to the gentle prayers of the lead teacher. Though I was only a volunteer that day, the child has touched me and I feel her hurt because I have felt it a lot of times before.
– At the end of the prayer, when everyone is going back, I called her and asked her for a small request: “Mary, can I hug you?” She nod her head and I opened my arms to hold her. I could feel her fragile heart beating against mine. And that was a beautiful feeling. I whispered to her: “Mary. God loves you. I love you. Promise me you will pray when you feel alone okay.” Then I hold her for a while, after that I let her go running like a horse again. Her eyes were calmer and the love seems to return to her soul.
– So the final story here is that we all have our worries and anxieties. Even a child has their anxieties in this world of ours. I hope we can treat everyone equally and kindly at least not to discriminate anyone. I truly believe we all have a voice. If someone ignores us or don’t want to talk to us, I believe it’s best that we try to avoid this person as they are not worth our time to invest in and it’s best we leave them alone with their own sacred group and find your own group who supports you and loves you for who you are.